The following keyboard combinations are used when a user is not using a screen reader. If you are using a screen reader please read the documentation specific to your screen reader and see the topic Using Assistive Technology below.
- navigate forward/backward between controls
- move through different tabs in a tab control, grid cells in a table, a signature light box
- cycle through options in a checkbox, move through the lightbox for an upload control.
- cycle through the controls in a section. When the last control in a section is in focus, the cursor advances to the next control in the form when you hit the tab key again.
Note: If a section is expanded, tabbing will take you directly into the section's controls. Tabbing puts the focus on each tab of a tab control. If a tab is selected, it becomes the active tab, and its contents will be in the natural tab order.
|Enter key or the space bar|
- select/deselect checkbox options
- expand/collapse a section
- add or remove a repeat item or rows in a table when the plus or minus icons have focus,
- open a link or associated pdf,
- select a date and close the date picker
- delete attachments that were uploaded,
- open the signature lightbox
- selects a tab
|Space bar only|
- open the date picker
- open the browse file dialog for an upload control
- select a value and close a dropdown list
- close lightboxes and help text windows
|shift + right/arrow|
- Use the shift/right arrow key sequence to select and expand a tab. The cursor will move through the natural tab order then access the controls inside it.
- cycle through the options of a dropdown or radio control and select a value.
- When the dropdown list is displaying, or you are cycling through the radio options, the left or up arrows select a previous value and the right or down arrows select the next value.
- Use the left/up arrows to select a previous day and the right/down arrows select the next day when the date picker is open.
Note: The right/left arrow keys can also be used to cycle/select the options of a radio control.
|Alt + up/down arrows on a windows keyboard or option + up/down arrows for the Mac|
- open/close a dropdown list.
The behaviors described below require the designer to enable the form/flow Accessible property. See Designing Accessibility forms/flows.