Before you begin the migration process:
- Please check the Supported Platforms to confirm the latest requirements.
- Please read and understand the Planning for v7.2 which may require your action before you begin your upgrade.
Determine Your Upgrade Path
Your Live Forms Version
Recommended Upgrade Path to v7.1.x
Upgrade directly to v7.2.x
Upgrade directly to v7.2.x
|6.3.x||Upgrade directly to v7.2.x|
|7.0.x||Upgrade directly to v7.2.x|
|7.1.x||Upgrade directly to v7.2.x|
Please follow the instructions on this page, to perform your upgrade.
Migrating from HSQLDB
Live Forms does not support the use of HSQLDB for use beyond demo/trials of the Live Forms software. If by mistake you continued to use the demo/trial HSQLDB database for production use, you will need to first migrate your data to one of Live Forms supported production databases BEFORE you can use the automated migration scripts to upgrade to later versions of Live Forms.
Upgrading from v5.3.9
Although Live Forms v5.3.9 is no longer supported, we are happy to help you upgrade to v7.1. If you are upgrading from v5.3.9 you must upgrade your v5.3.9 installation to v7.0 first and then upgrade your v7.0 installation to v7.1. Please refer to the v7.0 Update Guide for the instructions. When the v7.0 upgrade is complete, return to this page and continue with the instructions below.
Upgrading from Live Forms v6.1, v6.2, v6.3, v7.0 or v7.1
Please read the following upgrade steps prior to starting the migration.
v7 License Key Required:
A v7 license key is required for this version of Live Forms if you are upgrading from a version prior to v7.0. Request a v7 license by emailing email@example.com BEFORE you begin the upgrade. v5 and v6 licenses will not work.
- Please read and understand the Migration Considerations which may require your action before beginning.
- Backup the forms database from your current Live Forms installation.
- Backup the current Live Forms server's installation directory so that you have a copy of all custom configuration parameters.
Stop the Live Forms server using stop-frevvo.[bat,sh]. Stop Live Forms and the Insight Server through the Computer Management Services console if they are running as Window's services.
If you are using SQL Server as your Live Forms database, it is highly recommended that you turn on the READ COMMITTED SNAPSHOT setting in the database BEFORE performing the upgrade to Live Forms v7.1.
You do not have to do this if you are using MySQL or Oracle databases because this option is turned on by default.
There are two ways to turn on the option:
Using DDL ( Data Definition Language) - Run the commands listed below
- Using SQL Server Management Studio:
- Turn on the “Is Read Committed Snapshot On” Option under database properties.
- Install a fresh v7.2.x Live Forms server:
- Download the latest v7.2.x software.
- Request a v7 license if you are upgrading from a Live Forms version prior to v7.0.x.
- The download is a zip file. Extract the contents to any folder of your choice. This folder will be referred to as <frevvo-home> (note that the zip already contains a top level frevvo folder).
Navigate to <frevvo-home>\tomcat\conf\server.xml in the v7.2.x directory structure.
Database configuration has been removed from the <frevvo-home>\tomcat\conf\Catalina\localhost\frevvo.xml file. It is now done in the <frevvo-home>\tomcat\conf\server.xml file. Also, notice the database resource name has been changed to jdbc/sharedfrevvoDS. When you configure your database, make the changes to the v7.2.x server.xml. Do not copy configured sections from a frevvo.xml of a previous release into the v7.2.x server.xml file.
All database initialization and/or upgrade will be automatically done by frevvo.war as part of the Live Forms v7.2.x startup.
Copy the frevvo.users.schemaName property from <frevvo-home>\tomcat\conf\catalina\localhost\frevvo.xml to the v7 <frevvo-home>\tomcat\conf\catalina\localhost\frevvo.xml.
Compare the frevvo.users.schemaName property in the frevvo.xml file from the version of Live Forms you are upgrading from to the frevvo.xml file in v7.2 installation directory. If they are the same, do not do the copy in Step 6 - proceed to Step 7.
- Configure the new installation
- If you made changes to the following files in your previous installation, you will need to make the same changes in the new v7.2 configuration files.
- We recommend that any changes that were made to the web.xml file be moved to frevvo.xml instead.
- The three files mentioned above include:
8. Follow the steps for your Operating system to start the Insight server BEFORE starting Live Forms.
Open a command prompt. Navigate to <frevvo-home>\solr-5.4.1.Type bin\solr.cmd start to run the Insight server in the background, listening on the default port 8983.
You will see this message:
If you close the Insight server (Solr) startup window, the server will stop running. Leave the window open or set up Live Forms and the Insight Server to run as Windows services.
- Browse solr to verify the Insight server is running. The <server:port> default values are localhost:8983. Change localhost to the server name and 8983 to the port the Insight server is running on if they are different than the defaults. Do not include the angle brackets <>. You will see the Insight server (Solr) dashboard with the current status:
- Ensure that the scripts are executable: chmod 755 <frevvo-home>/tomcat/bin/*.sh
- Navigate to <frevvo-home>/solr-5.4.1/bin. Run this command to make the solr startup file executable:
chmod +x solr
- Navigate back to the solr-5.4.1 directory.
- Start the Insight server by typing:
bin/solr start - this starts the Insight server in the background.
- Browse http;<your server:port>/solr to verify the Insight server is running. The <server:port> default values are localhost:8983. Change localhost to the server name and 8983 to the port the Insight server is running on if they are different than the defaults. Do not include the angle brackets <>. You will see the Insight server (Solr) dashboard with the current status:
9. Start the Live Forms v7.2.x server by running the start-frevvo.bat or start-frevvo.sh files in the <frevvo-home>\frevvo directory depending on your Operating system.
During the upgrade the Insight server batch job will automatically run preparing your submission data for the Reports feature and the submissions view.
10. The Insight Server that is bundled with v7.2 has an updated schema. If you are running Live Forms and the Insight Server (Solr) as Windows services, you must delete the existing services then reinstall them for the services to run properly.
Follow these steps:
a. Remove the Insight Server (Solr) service. Login as an administrator and execute the correct command for your operating system. Refer to this article for a quick review
b. Remove the Live Forms service by running the <frevvo-home>\Remove-Service batch file.
c. Perform these steps to reinstall the Insight Server and Live Form services.
Things to Check:
- Login as a tenant admin
- Login as a tenant designer user
- View and edit a form/flow
- View submissions that existed before
- Test forms/flows
- Login as the superuser admin.
- Verify that the Insight server batch job ran and completed successfully.
It is recommended that you do not change or delete the frevvo.users.schemaName property in frevvo.xml after the first startup of v7.2.x. If the property is changed or deleted post migration you may see this error:
Follow these steps to rectify the situation:
- Change the property back to what it was during migration and restart.
- If step 1 does not fix the problem, delete all rows from the DATABASECHANGELOG database table and then restart. Use the command: delete from DATABASECHANGELOG.
You may see an unexpected error due to a misconfiguration. One likely cause is that you have copied an older version of frevvo.xml or web.xml from your old Live Forms server into your new Live Forms server. The upgrade will detect this error and alert you that an upgrade error may have occurred. To solve this replace frevvo.xml and/or web.xml with the version that came with your new Live Forms software. To transfer configuration customizations from your old server software to you new server, edit frevvo.xml and/or web.xml and copy the changes over manually.
Starting the Insight server before Live Forms.
If you start Live Forms before the Insight server, you will see this message when you browse the Live Forms login URL. Follow these steps to start the servers in the correct order:
- Navigate to your <frevvo-home> directory.
- Run the stop-frevvo.bat or stop-frevv.sh file depending on your Operating system to stop Live Forms.
- Open a command prompt. Navigate to <frevvo-home>\solr-5.4.1.
- Start the Insight server. Refer to Step 8 above for the instructions.
- Browse solr to verify the Insight server is running. The <server:port> default values are localhost:8983. Change localhost to your server name and 8983 to the port the Insight server is running on if they are different from the defaults.Do not include the angle brackets <>.
- Start Live Forms.
Live Forms for Confluence
If you are running Live Forms for Confluence please follow the same instructions above to upgrade your Live Forms server. Please refer to the Confluence Add-on Release Notes compatibility matrix. The Live Forms server and the Live Forms Confluence Add-on versions must match.
If you are using the Live Forms database connector, you must reinstall and configure it again for the v7.2.x installation.
Google, PVE, Filesystem Connectors
If you are using any of the Live Forms connectors, you must reinstall and configure them for the v7.2.x installation.
The Box Connector is available for Live Forms cloud customers. Installation instructions for in-house customers are listed in the Box.com Connector chapter.
Applying a Minor Patch Update
If you're applying a minor patch update, for example, applying patch 7.2.x to your installed v7.2.x Live Forms server, you can follow these simple steps instead of the more lengthy upgrade steps.
The latest major Live Forms version and latest connector versions are available on the public Software Downloads page.
- Unzip the downloaded build zipfile to a temp directory.
Copy the \temp\frevvo\tomcat\webapps\frevvo.war file.
Stop Live Forms.
Replace the frevvo.war file in your installation with the one copied above.
If you made any configuration changes in the web.xml file inside the frevvo.war, we recommend that the configuration context parameters be moved to the <frevvo-home>\tomcat\conf\localhost\frevvo.xml instead. This keeps all your changes in one place and makes migration to major new versions easier. If you choose not to move the configuration to frevvo.xml, you can follow the steps here to make the changes in the v7.2.x web.xml or you can just copy the old web.xml and replace the new one with it.
Delete everything inside \frevvo\tomcat\temp directory of your installation.
Start the Insight server. Refer to Step 8 above for the instructions.
Start Live Forms.