Before you begin the migration process:
- Please check the Supported Platforms to confirm the latest requirements.
- Please read and understand the Planning for v7.3 which may require your action before you begin your upgrade.
Determine Your Upgrade Path
Your Live Forms Version
Recommended Upgrade Path to v7.3.x
Upgrade directly to v7.3.x
|6.3.12||Upgrade directly to v7.3.x|
|7.0.3||Upgrade directly to v7.3.x|
|7.1.8||Upgrade directly to v7.3.x|
|7.2.x||Upgrade directly to v7.3.x|
Please follow the instructions on this page, to perform your upgrade.
Migrating from HSQLDB
frevvo does not support the use of HSQLDB for use beyond demo/trials of the Live Forms software. If by mistake you continued to use the demo/trial HSQLDB database for production use, you will need to first migrate your data to one of frevvo supported production databases BEFORE you can use the automated migration scripts to upgrade to later versions of Live Forms.
Upgrading from frevvo v6.1+, v6.2+, v6.3+, v7.0+ v7.1+ or 7.2+
Please read the following upgrade steps prior to starting the migration.
v7 License Key Required:
A v7 license key is required for this version of frevvo if you are upgrading from a version prior to v7.0. Request a v7 license by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org BEFORE you begin the upgrade. v5 and v6 licenses will not work.
Please read and understand the Migration Considerations which may require your action before beginning.
Stop the frevvo server using <frevvo-home>\stop-frevvo.[bat,sh].
If you are upgrading from v7.x, you will also need to stop the Insight Server (SOLR) by closing the window or if you are using the tomcat bundle by typing these commands in the <frevvo-home>\solr-5.4.1 directory of your existing installation.
bin\solr.cmd stop -all
Stop Live Forms and the Insight Server through the Computer Management Services console if they are running as Window's services.
- Backup the forms database from your current frevvo installation.
- Backup the current frevvo server's installation directory so that you have a copy of all custom configuration parameters.
If you are using frevvo v7.3.x.
, it is highly recommended that you turn on the READ COMMITTED SNAPSHOT setting in the database BEFORE performing the upgrade to
You do not have to do this if you are using MySQL or Oracle databases because this option is turned on by default.
There are two ways to turn on the option:
Using DDL ( Data Definition Language) - Run the commands listed below:
- Using SQL Server Management Studio:
- Turn on the “Is Read Committed Snapshot On” Option under database properties.
- Install a fresh v7.3.0.x frevvo server:
- Download the latest v7.3.x software.
- Request a v7 license if you are upgrading from a frevvo version prior to v7.0.x.
- The download is a zip file. Extract the contents to any folder of your choice. This folder will be referred to as <frevvo-home> (note that the zip already contains a top level frevvo folder).
Navigate to <frevvo-home>\tomcat\conf\server.xml in the v7.3.x directory structure.
Database configuration is done in the <frevvo-home>\tomcat\conf\server.xml file. The database resource name was changed to jdbc/sharedfrevvoDS in v7.0. When you configure your database, make the changes to the v7.2.x server.xml. Do not copy configured sections from a frevvo.xml of a previous release into the v7.3.x server.xml file.
- Configure the Database
Navigate to <frevvo-home>/tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost/frevvo.xml in the v7.3 directory structure.
- Configure Email
- Configure the Proxy Server if applicable
Refer to Installation Tasks for information about additional configuration parameters that can be added to the frevvo.xml file to take advantage of frevvo features.
- We recommend that any changes that were made to the web.xml file in previous releases be moved to frevvo.xml instead.
- Compare the frevvo.users.schemaName property in the frevvo.xml file from the version of frevvo you are upgrading from to the frevvo.xml file in v7.3 installation directory. If they are not the same, copy the frevvo.users.schemaName property from <frevvo-home>\tomcat\conf\catalina\localhost\frevvo.xml to the v7.3 <frevvo-home>\tomcat\conf\catalina\localhost\frevvo.xml.
- Save the changes to frevvo.xml.
- If you are upgrading from v7.0+ or v7.1+ and you made changes to the <frevvo-home>/tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost/insight.xml file, make those changes in the <frevvo-home>/tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost/insight.xml file in your v7.3 installation. You can skip this step if you are upgrading from a version of frevvo previous to v7.0
If you are upgrading from v7.1+, restore the contents of the <frevvo-home>\data\solr directory from the v7.1 installation directory backup that you made in Step 6 to your v7.3 <frevvo-home>\data directory. This step is only necessary if you are upgrading from v7.1+
If you do not restore the Insight server index files located in the <frevvo-home>\data\solr directory, you can run the Manage Insight Data Batch job manually once the upgrade is complete to regenerate them. The batch job should be run after hours when your users are not using your forms/flows.
Follow the steps for your Operating system to start the Insight server BEFORE starting frevvo.
- All database initialization and/or required upgrade will be automatically done by frevvo.war as part of the frevvo v7.3.x startup.
Open a command prompt. Navigate to <frevvo-home>\solr-5.4.1. Type bin\solr.cmd start to run the Insight server in the background, listening on the default port 8983.
You will see this message:
If you close the Insight server (Solr) startup window, the server will stop running. Leave the window open or go to Step 10 for instructions to remove existing services and.
- Browse solr to verify the Insight server is running. The <server:port> default values are localhost:8983. Change localhost to the server name and 8983 to the port the Insight server is running on if they are different than the defaults. Do not include the angle brackets <>. You will see the Insight server (Solr) dashboard with the current status:
- Ensure that the scripts are executable: chmod 755 <frevvo-home>/tomcat/bin/*.sh
- Navigate to <frevvo-home>/solr-5.4.1/bin. Run this command to make the solr startup file executable:
chmod +x solr
- Navigate back to the solr-5.4.1 directory.
Start the Insight server by typing: bin/solr start - this starts the Insight server in the background.
- Browse http;<your server:port>/solr to verify the Insight server is running. The <server:port> default values are localhost:8983. Change localhost to the server name and 8983 to the port the Insight server is running on if they are different than the defaults. Do not include the angle brackets <>. You will see the Insight server (Solr) dashboard with the current status:
- Start the frevvo v7.2.x server by running the start-frevvo.bat or start-frevvo.sh files in the <frevvo-home>\frevvo directory depending on your Operating system. proceed to Step 11. If you are running frevvo and the Insight Server (Solr) as Windows services, continue with Step 10.
- If you are running Live Forms and the Insight Server (Solr) as Windows services, you must delete the existing services then reinstall them for the services to run properly.
- Follow these steps to delete the existing Insight Server service for Windows Vista, 7, 8 or 10 operating systems:
- Login as an administrator.
- Verify the service name by double clicking it in the Windows Services list
Type this command: If your service name has spaces in it, use quotes around the service name.
- The message "DeleteService SUCCESS' will display when successful.
- Remove the Live Forms service by running the <frevvo-home>\Remove-Service batch file.
- Perform these steps to reinstall the Insight Server and Live Form services.
- Follow these steps to delete the existing Insight Server service for Windows Vista, 7, 8 or 10 operating systems:
If you are running Live Forms for Confluence please follow the same instructions above to upgrade your frevvo server. Please refer to the Confluence Add-on Release Notes compatibility matrix. The frevvo server and the frevvo Confluence Add-on versions must match. If you do not find your Confluence server version in the Confluence Add-on Release Notes compatibility matrix, please contact email@example.com.
- If you are using the frevvoDatabase Connector, you must reinstall and configure it again for the v7.3.x installation.
- If you are using the Google or PVE connectors included in the frevvo tomcat bundle, you must reinstall and configure them for the v7.3.x installation.
- If you are using the frevvoFilesystem Connector, you must reinstall and configure it again for the v7.3.x installation.
- If you are using the frevvoBox.com Connector, you must reinstall and configure it again for the v7.3 installation.
Things to Check:
- Verify that any frevvo Connectors are up and running.
- Login as a tenant admin
- Login as a tenant designer user
- View and edit a form/flow
- Verify that your submissions are displayed when you click the Submissions and Legacy submissions icons.
- Test forms/flows
- Login as the superuser admin.
- Verify that the Insight server batch job ran and completed successfully.
It is recommended that you do not change or delete the frevvo.users.schemaName property in frevvo.xml after the first startup of v7.3.x. If the property is changed or deleted post migration you may see this error:
Follow these steps to rectify the situation:
- Change the property back to what it was during migration and restart.
- If step 1 does not fix the problem, delete all rows from the DATABASECHANGELOG database table and then restart. Use the command: delete from DATABASECHANGELOG.
You may see an unexpected error due to a misconfiguration. One likely cause is that you have copied an older version of frevvo.xml or web.xml from your old Live Forms server into your new Live Forms server. The upgrade will detect this error and alert you that an upgrade error may have occurred. To solve this replace frevvo.xml and/or web.xml with the version that came with your new Live Forms software. To transfer configuration customizations from your old server software to you new server, edit frevvo.xml and/or web.xml and copy the changes over manually.
Starting the Insight server before frevvo.
If you start frevvo before the Insight server, you will see this message when you browse the frevvo login URL. Follow these steps to start the servers in the correct order:
- Navigate to your <frevvo-home> directory.
- Run the stop-frevvo.bat or stop-frevv.sh file depending on your Operating system to stop frevvo.
- Open a command prompt. Navigate to <frevvo-home>\solr-5.4.1.
- Start the Insight server. Refer to Step 8 above for the instructions.
- Browse solr to verify the Insight server is running. The <server:port> default values are localhost:8983. Change localhost to your server name and 8983 to the port the Insight server is running on if they are different from the defaults.Do not include the angle brackets <>.
- Start frevvo.
Applying a Minor Patch Update
If you're applying a minor patch update, for example, applying patch 7.3.x to your installed v7.3.x Live Forms server, you can follow these simple steps instead of the more lengthy upgrade steps.
The latest major frevvo version and latest connector versions are available on the public Software Downloads page.
- Unzip the downloaded build zipfile to a temp directory.
Copy the \temp\frevvo\tomcat\webapps\frevvo.war file.
Replace the frevvo.war file in your installation with the one copied above.
If you made any configuration changes in the web.xml file inside the frevvo.war, we recommend that the configuration context parameters be moved to the <frevvo-home>\tomcat\conf\localhost\frevvo.xml instead. This keeps all your changes in one place and makes migration to major new versions easier. If you choose not to move the configuration to frevvo.xml, you can follow the steps here to make the changes in the v7.3.x web.xml or you can just copy the old web.xml and replace the new one with it.
Delete everything inside \frevvo\tomcat\temp directory of your installation.
Start the Insight server. Refer to Step 8 above for the instructions.